Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Chunky chicken chili

I was going to make this in the slow cooker, which I'm sure you could do if you wanted to. But the day got away from me and I did it the "quicker" way. Which is why this will probably taste even better as leftovers for lunch today!!

My recipe for chunky chicken chili was a huge success. Miss Lucy LOVED it. She had seconds. This is her having seconds in the picture. It was great because there wasn't a ton of liquid, which is how I like soup, but if you want more you can definitely add chicken broth, tomato juice or V8.

I love Mama's chili!

Here is what I did. First I got a huge pot hot with some olive oil. I threw in bite sized chunks of chicken and chopped up a sweet onion. When that was cooked through, I threw in two 28 oz cans of petite diced tomatoes (juice & all!), 1 can of black beans (rinsed) and 1 can of sweet corn (drained). To season it, I put in 1 Tbsp of chili powder, 1/2 tsp celery salt, 1/2 tsp garlic salt. Yum!

------------

Chunky Chicken Chili

1.5 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cubed
1 medium onion, diced
2 Tbsp olive oil
2 28 oz cans diced tomatoes and juice
1 can black beans, rinsed
1 can corn, drained
1 Tbsp chili powder
1/2 tsp garlic salt
1/2 tsp celery salt

Brown chicken and onion in a big soup pot with some olive oil on medium high, stirring often. When chicken is cooked and onions are clear, turn down the heat to medium low. Add cans of tomatoes, rinsed beans and drained corn. Stir. Add spices. Cover and cook on low for 2-4 hours.

Serve with cheese on top (for those who can have it), crushed tortilla chips, tortilla strips, etc.

Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. Sounds good, although I use frozen corn...canned corn grosses me out for some reason!! You can put this on tortillas too for like a chicken taco, if you can have tortillas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy! This is Bonnie from KY Moms....I have been looking for a blog like yours....this momma needs recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Bonnie for checking out the site! I hope it is helpful. If you check older posts I had a lot of really yummy snack foods with links to them. Amazon has great deals in bulk once you figure out what your child likes to eat!

    ReplyDelete